CBE Participates in Astronaut Talk LIVE FROM SPACE!
Friday, Feb. 10, 2023
10:45 a.m. — 2 p.m. *
* Exact time of connection with the ISS to be announced.
Watch UW’s CBE, COE, CAS in conversation with astronaut Josh Cassada, LIVE from space on the International Space Station! This event on Friday, February 10th is expected to start at approximately 10:45 AM PT though subject to adjustment based on NASA/ISS connectivity. Tune in for the livestream on WA Space Grant’s Youtube Channel!
Gregg Colburn, assistant professor in CBE’s Runstad Department of Real Estate, has been lifelong friends with Josh Cassada since their childhood days growing up in Minnesota. They have partnered with other units across the UW to present this rare opportunity to chat with an astronaut aboard the International Space Station live — with no pre-recorded questions!
The highlight of this Friday in Space will be a 20-minute downlink with astronaut Cassada, currently stationed on the ISS. A downlink affords participants on Earth to see video and hear audio from the ISS, while the astronaut will have audio only from Earth’s side of the conversation. During the downlink, UW students, moderated by Prof. Colburn, will have the chance to ask questions directly of astronaut Cassada. We will announce the time of the downlink once NASA has confirmed it with us, which usually happens no later than two weeks prior to the event.
- 10:45 a.m. — Welcome and introduction with Gregg Colburn (real estate studies) and Emily Levesque (astronomy)
- 11 a.m. — Presentation on Lummi Nation School’s ISS experiment
- 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. — The order of the following events will be finalized approximately two weeks ahead of the event when NASA confirms the time of our connection with the International Space Station.
- NASA astronaut Josh Cassada answers questions live from the ISS (hosted by Gregg Colburn)
- Lightning introductions of UW student projects and research (round 1)
- Lunch break
- 1 p.m. — “Ask an Astronaut” panel
- 1:45 p.m. — Lightning introductions of UW student space-related projects and research (round 2)
- 2 p.m. — Poster session of UW student projects and research
Click here to visit the WA Space Grant website for more detailed information about this special event!
Brought to you by the following units at the University of Washington:
College of Built Environments and the Runstad Department of Real Estate
College of Arts & Sciences and the Department of Astronomy
College of Engineering and the William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics
Washington NASA Space Grant Consortium